Monday, September 24, 2012

Kings X (#34)

The letter X: X marks  spot in a pirate's treasure maps. X lets you know you are here.  X marks a answer on a test. X means do not enter, danger or caution.  X is apparently a punk rock band that formed in the late 1970s. X means multiplication, X is the 24 letter in the alphabet.  X is found between the letter Z and C on the keyboard. There are X-rays and there there  Generation X (those born after the baby boomers, my generation). X means the end of a conversation and related to it, X often marks the death of a character, or to sign papers instead of a signature.* Either way X is used to mark and signify something of noteworthy importance.

The question now is how then are you marked?  I am not referring to  necessarily a physical mark, though it could be. What defines or marks you, your character, your environment, your interests, your future, your past, your present, or what ever it might be? As Christian and follower of Christ I am a daughter of the KING. He place his mark on me (figuratively). It is a permanent mark that can never be taken away. I am glad of this mark becasue I am set apart. Leviticus  20:26 says: "Thus you are to be holy to Me, for I the LORD am holy; and I have set you apart from the peoples to be Mine."

 So today's block is called the Kings X. I tried to do a little research on the history of the block and could not find very much information. From the examples I've seen of this quilt patter seem to be from 1900 and on. The block I did as you can see from picture below was done in rusty red colors and is another 12 inch block. It came together  rather quickly. I am pleased that my seams and points match up almost perfectly. Fairly soon I'll have enough red/pink blocks to make a quilt.
Click the picture for the pattern link,

Here's some other example of a Kings X quilt taken from the web. The pictures are also links to the website they are found on. The way these ones are made is slightly different than the one I made, which was reworked to make the pattern simplier.


Here is a beautiful antique blue and white Kings X quilt. It kind of has a dizzying effect on the eyes.






*Taken from the Wikipedia article on X

No comments:

Post a Comment