Friday, September 21, 2012

Friendship Block (#33)

More than half of my life ago (seems strange to say that) in my mid teens I came to know Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. A real relationship that was deep and personal had begun and it continuing to this day.  I had always grown up in the church and church and my friends in church were pretty much my life. My parents were actively involved in the church and often my brothers and I got roped into helping, even if it was at 5am on Easter morning.  So I had a good upbringing and nothing out of the normal happened, nothing traumatic. I was a good person, though very quiet and shy, and stayed out of trouble and did all my homework and chores without complaining ( well,  most of the time). Even with all the church involvement Awanas, Pioneer clubs, vacation Bible school, and so on, it all really didn't stick. I knew the facts and was sensitive to spiritual things but  hadn't made that heart connection until my mid-teens as I has mentioned before. It was being actively involved with youth group and  especially Young Life that in the Spring of 1995 one day I came to know that all that I was taught  and learned was really true- Jesus did really come to earth, die, and rose again just for me. He loves me so much! It was kind of like a light was suddenly turned on. Praise the LORD! And so I continue to this day to seek the LORD as I serve and worship Him. I've come along way since that quiet and shy person in my early years.

You are probably wondering what in the world does my personal testimony has to do with today's block Friendship block. It's not so much the name of the block that relates but what I embroidered on the inside. It says Isaiah 40:31- 
 "but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint."

During that Spring of 1995 I clearly remember one time one of our leaders saying for everyone to open their Bibles to Isaiah 40. And from there we sang the exact words from the Bible, especially from the later part of the chapter. I thought it was so cool that we used the bible as a hymnal/song book.  I still remember the tune too, and if you ask me I just might sing it to you one day. 

So without further ado, I present to you silly songs with Larry, oh wait no wrong thing.. haha.. I present to you today's quilt  block Friendship Block. I have done it in all reds and whites this time with a smattering of green and yellow in the plaid fabric.  As always click on the picture to go to the pattern link. Remember to abide the terms and conditions on the pattern link.

I didn't do so great on the embroidery on this, but it's still legible.

I chose to do a little bit different color placement then on the pattern that I linked to. As with any quilt block, play with he color placement. It often creates many different looks. 

Here's a  quilt that  has a neat idea. For the center block  use it to spell out a word or a message. In this quilt it's down the middle.  The letter blocks on the the same website as the pattern. And no I pulled this off the internet and didn't make it for my brother whoshares the same name.

http://quilterscache.com/images55/JuliesFriendshipBlock.jpg
And here's three quilts I recently finished. On the third one you can see some of the block from this blog in the quilt.



2 comments:

  1. I really love the patterns and colors on that last quilt.

    Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's up for sale on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/120988796945?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

      If it doesn't sell on ebay I'll put it on my etsy website later this week.

      Delete