Friday, April 6, 2012

Milky Way (block #14)

 As I was making today's block, Milky Way, I was calm and at peace. I had just finished cleaning the house (with the exception of my sewing room/guest bedroom.). I usually like to clean and work first before I start a project or do something that is fun. That way I can have fun or sew to my hearts content without the restriction of time.  I could not be more pleased about how this block turned out or with the colors I choose. And even my seams lined up perfectly on this one. Perhaps it helped because I was listening to Selah's album of the greatest hymns and the Getty's Awaken the Dawn (some of my favorite CD's). In the midst of  listening to great music and being blessed and encouraged as I thought about the words  (and sang along too), sewing, and thinking about what I was going to write about the block I made the Milky Way block in no time at all.

I chose some of my favorite color combinations for this block, bright yellow and bright blue. The blue in this block is actually falling snow, a Christmas print.  These colors always make me cheerful.  I also love star patterns. Perhaps these colors remind me of my favorite painting Stary Night by Van Gogh.  I included the the painting below. Those who know me, know that I love looking  at the stars at night. Star have always held special significance to me.Often times God would use the stars of a way of comfort me and still me. At other times periods of significant spiritual growth and other special events were centered around the stars. It comforted me that if he knew each of the stars by name he most certainly knew all about me and my heart. There was that time during a night long walk in the middle of a Russian winter we sang God of Wonders. Another time was a hay ride and a camp fire at Young Life camp in Rockbridge, VA. And still another time in a middle of a Romanian cornfield  a group of us just stood and awe and some of us quietly sang a song of praise. I remember as a child laying on a blanket looking at stars in a empty space between our house and the neighbors with my brothers while my dad taught us about constellations.  I could name quite a few more stories. But each time my heart swelled  with peace and praise to the King of King, the creator of the universe, the LORD. 

And so here is the block I made today:

Milky Way  quilt block
 
 Close up of the fabric I used.


And Van Gogh's Starry Night

With careful planning this would  make a very interesting and beautiful quilt. Don't forget to read the terms and conditions on the main page.  Marcia who starting the website works very hard to bring free quilting patterns to the public. Some are even her original designs and we don't want to infringe on copyright laws.

Here's the pattern link:  http://quilterscache.com/M/MilkyWayBlock.html

No comments:

Post a Comment