Monday, April 2, 2012

Churn Dash (Block #11)

I'm back! I was away for a good part of last week and so I couldn't do more  quilt blocks. I  kind of miss it doing it and researching the different patterns and finding fabrics among my stash to make each block. So sorry about the delay. I am back now.

And today's block is called churn dash. It is another 12 inch block. The one I made = is slightly smaller than 12 inches because I didn't realize the needle position was in the middle making the the 1/4 inch seams a little larger.This one is great for beginners and comes together easily and quickly. As I have mentioned in my previous post that many of the quilt  blocks were named after everyday household items. A churn dash was used to made butter. and according to dictionary.com a churn "a container or machine in which cream or milk is agitated to make butter."
And so here is my block. It is done in cream and a bright stained glass print. I always loved this print but always had trouble finding just the right fabric to coordinate with it. Eventually little bit by little bit I used up the fabric in various quilts and other projects.  It reminds me of the times I have traveled to Europe. I've seen some really wonderful stained glass in some of the great cathedrals  and churches of Italy, France, Vatican, Romania, Austria, and Russia. I liked the quiet,  peaceful hush of these places. Even though I am not catholic or orthodox I really like the these old places of worship.  I can almost imagine myself back in those cool and dimly lit church looking in awe and being surrounded by artwork on all four sides. I remember seeing dust particles floating through sunlight streaming through the colorful stain glass windows. Funny how some the littlest of things such as fabric can trigger some long gotten memory. I really like the simplicity of this block. I am planning on making a quilt with this block ( but in a 6 inch size) using blue indigo fabrics. I am slowly collecting indigo, especially civil war  reproduction.prints. So if anyone wants to make a trade for some fabric or something else let me know.

To make this block go here: http://quilterscache.com/C/ChurnDashBlock.html

If you would like this block or any that I have made please send me a message with your address and I'll mail it to you. Also I have a website where I sell things. Please feel free to take look and perhaps buy something. :)  www.kindlscorner.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment