Saturday, March 17, 2012

Jacob's Ladder (Block #4)

Many quilt blocks were named  after biblical or domestic references, ie Wagon Wheels, broken dishes,  and churn dash.. Overtime the names of blocks would change be given new "more  relevant names..." by women  "who has more social concerns on their minds" ( Hearts and Hands: Women, Quilts and American Society, p 69). This was a way for "ordinary women to express their concerns and ideas" (Hearts and Hands). Women could make a statement and raise awareness by the work of their hands without getting involved  in the issues of the day, which was usually restricted to a man's world. That is not to say that woman never spoke or wrote  their minds, many did in fact There were many progressive and forward thinking women in history for example women such as Harriet Beecher Stowe, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and  many others took up social concerns of the day. 

Today's  block is called Jacob's Ladder though was originally named after the biblical character of Jacob in a dream he had, it is also know as the Underground Railroad  and slavery during  the Civil War (1860-1865) ( Hearts and Hands)  because a ladder was probably seen a way of escape to slaves escaping to the north.  In all this pattern generally symbolizes a journey of some sorts as is the case of Jacob.   The biblical patriarch Jacob has a dream about a ladder descending from heaven to earth during his flight from his twin brother Esau. In the dream the LORD promises Jacob that even though his descendents will spread out to the east, west, north and south, he will always bring them back to the land he had promised.   Genesis 28:10-19 describes the dream. This is taken from biblegateway.com from the NASB version. I added the underlining for emphasis.


"Then Jacob departed from Beersheba and went toward Haran. 11 He came to a certain place and spent the night there, because the sun had set; and he took one of the stones of the place and put it under his head, and lay down in that place. 12 He had a dream, and behold, a ladder was set on the earth with its top reaching to heaven; and behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. 13 And behold, the LORD stood above it and said, “I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie, I will give it to you and to your descendants. 14 Your descendants will also be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and in you and in your descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed. 15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have [i]promised you.” 16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it.” 17 He was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.” 18 So Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on its top. 19 He called the name of that place Bethel; however, previously the name of the city had been Luz." Genesis 28:10-19


There has also been some pretty fantastical artwork that artists did to capture this Bible passage.  Jacobs ladder has also been made into a toy. A thriller movie also bears the same name. A  native purple flower that has the tendency to spread across the ground bears the same name too.

 
 
The toy Jacob's Ladder
 
.
 Jacob's Ladder flower

Now back to Jacob's ladder the actual quilt block. There are many different ways to put these blocks together to make a quilt. Do a image search for Jacob's Ladder to get some inspiration as to how to put the blocks together as well as to get an idea of color combinations.  I sometimes do this if I am making a bigger quilt and want to see how a bunch of block look if I put them together. Some of the quilts are done in all solids, plaids, print,  or have a scrappy look to them. 

The one that I have done I chose to do in a two tone color scheme. In this case, white and red/yellow flower print. I do know know what possessed me to buy several yards fabric which I found at a thrift store. I've had the hardest time trying to match something to go with it. I guess it appealed to me because of  it's brightness in a almost neon  sort of way. I'm finally using up the last bit of this fabric but still have a little bit left over.Excuse the little bits of thread everywhere in the photo.



I have also made a quilt from this block. I've added the pictures below. I like the blue, red, and white colors I used in this one but not how it turned out over all. Well actually this one is not quite  the Jacob's Ladder pattern but one called Jewel Box I believe. But it has similar look and feel to it.

Hope you enjoyed the history lesson today.Hopefully it wasn't too long. I am learning all sorts of things I didn't know before. :o)

 Please contact me with a e-mail and address if you would like this block. It measures 12.5 inches unfinished.  Also I have a website when I sell quilts and quilt supplies, antiques, baby clothes, and other homemade items. it's www.kindlscorner.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment