Monday, March 19, 2012

Flyfoot (Block #6)

Today's block is called Flyfoot.  Finished size will be 12 inches (12.5 unfinished). It has several different names including Battle Ax of Thor, Catch Me If You Can, Chinese 10,000 Perfections, Devil’s Dark Horse, Devil’s Puzzle, Favorite of the Peruvians, Heart’s Seal, Indian Emblem, Mound Builders, Spider, Virginia Reel, Wind Power of the Osages, Winding Blades, Whirligig, Zig Zag, and of course one your are  familiar with, the Swastika (used by the Nazi Germany). According to a few websites that I have looked at this is a very old pattern and used way before German Nazi used is as their party's symbol.  One could play around with color placement so it would not look so much like a Swastika.   So here's the block I made:

 
Flyfoot quilt  block

Close up of the blue rose print fabric from the center of the block.

Overall I like how this one turned out. I've always like the blue rose fabric. It reminds me of a some tea cups that I got when I was in Russia as well as some other  handle-less tea cups by college roommate gave me from Tajikistan.  This block would go nicely in a sampler quilt. One the pattern link there is  very nice pattern layout with alternating  hour glass blocks which I am considering making sometime. Should you copy the layout to make a quilt PLEASE read the  terms of conditions and use page and follow them. The lady Marcia who created the website works very hard to make and write patterns and make them available for the public to use. There is no other quilting website out there that is as comprehensive as this one. Some of the blocks  are her original designs so please don't infringe on copyright laws or use them in a commercial way.

Here's the pattern link: http://quilterscache.com/F/FlyfootBlock.html


Don't forget to e-mail me your name and address and I'll mail you anyone of these blocks I have made. Just Let me know the name of the one you want. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment