Friday, March 16, 2012

Saw Toothed Square 2 (Block # 3)

 It's been a long day it seems. I've had a general lack of energy all day for some reason . The weather has been so nice and sunny here in Chicago. I can understand why cats like to find a sunny spot and sleep all day which was exactly what I wanted to do. Kind of reminds me of a little song from the TV show Big Bang Theory. It goes like this:

Soft kitty,
Warm kitty,
Little ball of fur.
Happy kitty,
Sleepy kitty,
Purr Purr Purr.

We actually used this as a warm up for choir practice last night.  I kind of miss my kitty- she had ran away.

 Now on to quilting related things. I am somewhat  awake now thanks to twos cup of coffee, which I know was probably  not the best of ideas this late at night. It is now 11:28 and I aim to finish this blog by midnight.

So today's block is called  Saw Toothed Square 2. It is another 12 inch block.  I could not find much of any information on this block.  It's not too hard to image the points of the triangles as a saw blade.

 
 I like how this one turned out. I had to take a few of the triangle square units apart  because I sewed them the wrong direction. Eventually I got it right. But it came together quite nicely and my measurements were right on this time. I am getting better at making half  square units (the dreaded 7/8 inch measurement) . These ones came out much more square. I made sure I double checked my seams and drew the sew lines on the fabric.

If you make several of these  with solid strips to separate the squares it will make quite a cheerful and bright quilt. It will also help use up those scraps that always seem to pile up. We all know that "one day" we are going to use all those scraps for something.  So here's your chance. I am guilty of this too. I save just about everything that is bigger than 1.5 inches.  

In the original pattern directions use only two colors,  a dramatic  white and red. But I used a scrappy look for this block. Or you can use 3 colors- any option would work. Try different colors, or even reverse the white and color prints and you will have a whole different look.  I used mainly light small floral prints for this blocks in honor of the warm spring almost summer like weather we are having. 

Here's the link if you want  directions to  make this  12 inch block:
http://quilterscache.com/S/SawToothedSquareBlock.html

Don't forget to leave a comment, or two or three. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment