Monday, March 19, 2012

Rolling Gears (Block # 7):

I am feeling accomplished today! Two blocks instead of one! Go me! :)

Today's block is called Rolling Gears. . The brown floral print is one of my favorite fabrics which is unusual because I don't like brown normally.  I've used it all up now. I wish I could find more of it. The brown floral reminds me of bygone days of prairies, covered wagons, the Oregon Trail, and calico dresses. I read a book once where the author wrote about a group of people in cover wagon journey west. When they finally reached Oregon the author described  the rag tag group of people and women in their tired faded  calicos dresses as they descended upon the fertile Oregon land with gladness in their hearts for they had reached their destination with many joys and triumphs, trails and tribulations along the way. They were home. The author went on to say that it was much like when  the Israelites finally entered the Promised Land after wandering  in the desert for 40 years. They were probably tired and dusty. It was like a breath of fresh air washed over them. They were here, here in the land that God has promised them at last. We all know that the story does not end there. There were many more heartaches, struggles, and triumphs to come. Though the journey west to Oregon is a fictional tale but  the similarities between the two stories are striking. It gave me a little glimpse into the thoughts and feelings of those entering the Promised land for the first time. I forget the name and author of the fictional book I read. If I remember I up date the blog later.


Rolling Gears

Close up of fabric
 
 
And the Patter to make it: http://quilterscache.com/R/RollinggearsBlock.html

Don't forget to comment or e-mail me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment