Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Nosegay (Block #22)

Well I've been a busy bee the past few days despite not having  done a quilt block within the past few days. I finished my Arkansas Crossroads quilt  top except that I just need to add the borders. I completely finished a baby quilt for a friend (one down many to go), and  completed a baby dress which was made from a antique lady's shirt and a baby dress. Go to my Etsy page and you can see the baby dress.  It turn out really good.

 I looked at the stats from my blog and I am up to 340 views from all over the world (USA, Russia, Germany, Australia, United Kingdom, and Italy)! I find this truly amazing! Keep reading all! :)

So moving right along... Today's block is call Nosegay.  Nosegay is a old fashioned sort of term. It refers to a small bouquet of flowers, such as brides and bridesmaids hold in a wedding.  In years past, nosegays were usually given as gifts and either worn in the hair or at the waist. A good movie (one of my favorites), Wives and Daughters (a 1830s period piece from the BBC),  have several scenes where nosegay's are  featured prominently. If you like any of the movie adaptions of Jane Austin's novel, you'll like this one.

This block would make a great scape quilt and make a dent on all those 2 1/2 inch squares you've been  saving. The only thing I did  differently with this block is that I did not use the paper piecing method as suggested.. I found that a 4.5 x 8.5 rectangle of the side works just the same and saves the trouble of having to print out so many pieces. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner then cut one quarter inch away from the line. The marked line is your sew line. IF you do it this way, a word of advice: lay out your pieces before sewing them together. I might look a little funny but is will come out just  right.

I chose  dark hunter green and a variety of blue  fabrics for this block. I rather like the look of this block, and perhaps might be a future project. That's the thing with making so many blocks, every block could be a potential project or quilt.



             
Click here for the patter link.







No comments:

Post a Comment