Friday, September 14, 2012

Log Cabin (BLock #30)

Today is my 30th block! Only a million more to go...   Anyhow today's block is a oldie but goodie, Log Cabin. It harkens back to pioneer days when pioneers built log cabins as a form of shelter for their families and animals.  The block itself resembles logs stacked one upon each other.  Traditionally the center square of the block is done in red represents perhaps the hearth or fire place which was the center of the home. The "logs" were often traditionally done in light and dark fabric, symbolizing sunny and dark sides of the cabins. The pattern itself goes even further back to ancient Egypt and mummification. Check out this website for more information.  I grew up loving the Little House on the Prairie books and television series, and countless historical films. And later on I bought an American girl doll, Kirsten (a pioneer girl from the late 1850s), when I was 16 years old. I hoped to pass the doll on to my daughter someday and instill a love of reading and history.

And so here is the block that I made.  Click the picture if you want  instructions to make this block. Thanks once again to quilterscache.com I used the 7 inch paper piecing option.When I printed it out it ended up being 6.5 inches unfinished. Seeing the picture now, I notice I forgot to clip a few threads or remove excess threads. Sometimes you just don't notice things until you take a picture of it.  The layout options for this block are too  numerous  to name or show examples of, but I did  add some below the one I did. Some of them are really fantastic and eye catching.
Log Cabin

 


Here are a few example I found online.. Click on the pictures for the website links.
Log Cabin Quilt
A simple country quilt. I really like the change of quilting directions in the borders.
This one is done in light and dark scraps.
http://quilterscache.com/images3/pamsLC.jpg
This is a lovely fall and Autumn quilt. I love the added tough of the leaf blocks.

http://quilterscache.com/images3/kirstenslogcabinvar.jpg
I love anything that is blue! This one is really quite lovely.             



No comments:

Post a Comment